Adult Eye Care
Adult eye care tips to remember as you age
EVERYDAY EYE CARE TIPS
At Pearle Vision, we believe that everyone should be able to see things perfectly. That’s why the way that you see the world is very important to us. Getting an eye exam at least every 2 years as recommended by the American Optometric Association* is a great way to start the process towards better eye health. Here are some other small things that you can start doing right away to ensure proper eye care:
Eating leafy greens
- is a great way to keep your eyes healthy because they are filled with vitamin C, beta carotene, and loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants act like a natural sunscreen for your eyes and protect them from harmful UV rays.
Washing your hands when handling contacts
- is one of the most important things you can do to keep your contact lenses clean and your eyes healthy. This small step can prevent bacteria and other germs from coming into contact with your eyes and prevent a range of other problems such as eye irritation, infection, redness, secretion, visual blurring, and eye pain.
Wearing sunglasses in rain AND shine
- because their most important job is to protect your eyes from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Most people are aware of the damage UV rays can cause on the eyes but what many don't know is that the visible light emitted by the sun comprises a range of different-colored light rays that contain different amounts of energy. Exposure to UV rays and blue light in particular can cause damage to the eye over time and sunlight is the main source of blue light. An estimated 20% of cataract cases are caused by extended UV exposure. Being outdoors during daylight is where most of us get most of our exposure to it.
Learn more at Everyday Eye Care Tips
COMMON EYE CONDITIONS
From blurry vision to diabetic retinopathy, there are a variety of ways our eyes can bother us. Typically, common eye disorders can be identified by their symptoms, making it easy for the optometrists at Pearle Vision to assist you. From helping you understand what causes cataracts, to stopping your eye twitch, the Pearle Vision experts are here to guide you along in your eye care journey. Here are some of the most common eye conditions, their symptoms and their potential causes:
- is the loss of sharpness of eyesight, making objects appear out of focus and hazy. The primary causes of blurred vision are typically: tiredness, dryness of eyes, or eye strain, but can also be the result of other more serious eye conditions.
Computer eye strain
- is an eye and vision-related problem that results from prolonged computer, tablet, e-reader and/or cell phone use. Viewing digital screens for extended periods of time can cause eye discomfort and other vision-related problems.
- is an inflammation or infection of the transparent membrane (conjunctiva) that lines the eyelid and covers the white area of the eyeball. When small blood vessels in the conjunctiva become inflamed, they're more visible. This is what causes the whites of the eyes to appear reddish or pink.
Learn more at Common Eye Conditions
LENSES TO CONSIDER BASED ON VARIOUS EYE CONDITIONS
From single vision lenses prescribed to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism to progressive lenses that use digital technology to give you edge-to-edge clarity, Pearle Vision carries the highest-quality lenses custom made to fit your unique vision needs. We also have polarization lenses that help minimize glare from the sun for better clarity and UV protection to photochromic lenses designed to reduce eye fatigue and strain by adjusting to the light around you. Learn more at Compare Lenses